It’s that time of year when Trader Joe’s fans camp out for weeks on end in pitched tents, forgoing food and water to wait in line to buy seasonal treats. Ok, maybe it’s not that insane but it certainly feels that way. Seasonal goodies cause people to lose all sense of reality and eat nothing but peppermint flavored things for days. Maybe that’s just me.
At the top of the seasonal treat list are Trader Joe’s Candy Cane Joe-Joes. Much like that other more well known and name trademarked sandwich cookie, these are also chocolate wafers but inside is a sweet, addictive peppermint filling.
It would only make sense to crush them up and make them into Candy Cane Joe-Joes Rice Cereal Treats, right?
Not extreme enough? Why not spread a cool, creamy layer of ice cream in-between, forming the ultimate holiday treat – behold the Candy Cane Joe-Joes Cereal Treats Ice Cream Sandwich!
Check out our recipe after the break…
- 6 cups Rice Cereal
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 40 marshmallows
- 20 Candy Cane Joe-Joes, crushed
- 2 cups Vanilla Ice Cream, softened
1. Prep a 9×13 dish by greasing it with a little bit of melted butter.
2. In a bowl stir together the rice cereal and Candy Cane Joe-Joes, set aside.
3. In a large pot, melt the 2 Tablespoons of butter and the marshmallows.
4. Stir until melted. Add the rice cereal cookie mixture, stirring until completely coated.
5. Press the coated cereal into the greased pan until compact and even. Let cool.
6. Cut the pan of cereal treats in half. Spread the softened ice cream over one side, then top with the other layer. Return to freezer.
7. Once solid, cut into squares, serve and enjoy!