Note: When readers choose to buy the awesome products featured here, we might earn affiliate commissions that support our work.

Beware Of Exploding Sauerkraut

Click to Enlarge

A school in Prince George, British Columbia recently had a botulism scare that required hazmat intervention after a can of sauerkraut exploded:

Twenty-four students and four staff members at Kelly Road Secondary School were put into quarantine Friday afternoon after a can of the preserved cabbage exploded in a food sciences class. Teachers didn’t know what was inside the can when it blew up, and called the local fire department and police to prevent an outbreak of botulism, a potentially fatal disease caused by bacteria sometimes found in canned food. Investigators were soon able to identify the substance as the popular German sausage topping, which had been left to ferment for years.

The big question now is whether that can originated in the school cafeteria.

(Fortean Times via CTV via Neatorama)

Recommended:

comments powered by Disqus